Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Tuesday's Tunes: Ben Folds

I still remember when a friend of mine in high school let me borrow his Ben Folds Five cassette tape and their song "Brick" was playing on the radio. These were back in the days when almost I listened to was Top 40 and J-pop...those were interesting days.

Most recently I had the pleasure of catching Ben Folds in concert at Boston's House of Blues, which just confirmed his quirky genius, musical prowess and all around funny guy. He has a penchant for swearing, but it compliments beautifully the often exposed and painful nature of his lyrics. He often writes about the difficulties of "growing up" and entering adulthood, so the humor helps takes some of the edge off topic without trivializing it.

Ben Folds - Still Fighting It


Ben Folds Five - Brick

1 comment:

  1. Those are two of my favorite Ben Folds songs! I listened to "Still Fighting It" like everyday after graduation. :) I also love "Selfless, Cool and Composed." It's the only song I know where the piano strings are actually STRUMMED. :O

    ReplyDelete