Friday, September 9, 2011

Recent experiences and musings on social media


Is it really the second Friday of September already? The first full week of the month brought Boston plenty of cool weather and rain, so while I'm sure many of the new students and residents may be regretting their recent move, there's at least a relatively warm weekend and pleasant weather to look forward to.

Anyhow, I thought I'd share a some random tidbits on some  of the apps and programs I've been using as of late, all of which include an aspect of social media:
  • Announcing Blogger App for iOS - This was just announced on Thursday, September 8, and I coincidentally searched for a Blogger app Friday morning without reading the article. While this blog provides a great medium to practice and hone my writing skills, I'm hoping the mobile app will aid in capturing ideas that are sparked during my commute or on the go. I've only used it for about 10-15 minutes, but so far so good.
  • I love Google and all, but have still yet to embrace Google+. From what I can see, it at least has given friends who have abandoned Facebook an outlet to share updates to a more select group of people, though FB is desperately updating their functionality to do the same. I think it will be interesting to see where both sites wind up by the end of 2011.
  • Grooveshark has been a great addition to my bookmarks for mixing up the available music I have at my work computer. I'm playing with Spotify on my home computer as well and both have been great legal ways to check out new albums and artists. Digging Andrew Bird's album Noble Beast, Hillsong Live's God is Able, as well as made a killer 80's pop playlist that is my love letter to Magic106.7.
  • Instagram has been a nice outlet for times where I want to quickly capture a moment in time...and by "moment", I usually mean "food". I'm still uploading a backlog of past Instagram photos and hopefully will be sharing some more recent ones soon. I barely take pictures at events and would much rather catch up with a friend or get to know a new person, and while no means do I consider this art, I've always enjoyed photos as a way to relive and remember a fond memory. Happy Friday
I would love to hear any of your thoughts or experiences with the apps and programs above. Please consider dropping me a line in the Comments section or by email.

No comments:

Post a Comment