Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Suggested Reading: Morning Glories

Morning Glories, Vol. 1: For a Better Future
Written by Nick Spencer
Art by Joe Eisma

Amazon.com summary:
"Morning Glory Academy is one of the most prestigious prep schools in the country... but something sinister and deadly lurks behind its walls. When six gifted, but troubled, students arrive, they find themselves trapped and fighting for their lives as the secrets of the academy reveal themselves!"
Discovering Morning Glories was like finally being able to scratch that itch I've had since Lost finished and went off-air a few years ago. With strong characterization, the story that unravels before you fills your mind with a million questions, and like any good mystery, every time you are a given an answer...you are left with a dozen new questions. I love the twist endings that seem to be in almost every issue/chapter, which readily invoke my favorite "What the?!?" moments in Lost. Needless to say, I readily consumed the first two collected volumes. Best of all? I passed along, said volumes to my wife, a casual comic reader who has enjoyed Y: The Last Man and Fables, and she finished them faster than I did and asked for more.

While I agree with the many reviews that Joe Eisma's art can make it difficult to distinguish one character from another, a problem only exacerbated by the large cast all dressed in matching school uniforms, it's not distracting enough from the stellar characters and story that just pull you in with the gravitational force of a black hole. I know that the lasting power of Morning Glories will ultimately depend on how Nick Spencer and the team end the series, but I'm more than willing to stay on for the ride to find out!

Rating: 4.0/5.0

No comments:

Post a Comment