Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Learn How to Stand in a Line (aka the Boston Food Truck Festival)


The evolution of the food truck has been quite an interesting journey. What was once a cheap, convenient (and questionably clean) lunch option, has transformed into a smart, tech-savvy, gourmet enterprise. While I have an access to a handful of rotating food trucks in Boston's Chinatown, the Boston Food Truck Festival at UMass Boston this past Sunday seemed like an efficient way to try more than 20 different local food trucks. Here are some quick thoughts from the event:

  • It was a beautiful, hot, sunny day, however standing in long lines with no coverage led to some members of our group to get sunburn.
Crazy Line courtesy of Scribble Kitchen


  • Patience is a virtue at these kinds of events. The lines we waited on rivaled that of the most popular roller coaster at an amusement park...which for me happens to be the Batman ride at Six Flags. While we did not do it this time, I highly recommend the VIP tickets that get you in an hour before the event opens to the general public.
Photo courtesy of Scribble Kitchen

  • The food was decent, but nothing particularly wowed me. I was generally pleased with what The Chicken and Rice Guys have to offer. I love the original halal food truck from NY, and I would consider visiting this food truck in the future. In the picture above you'll see what they were giving out, a choice of chicken, lamb sausage, or combo. I would go chicken as the lamb sausage is inferior to the ground seasoned lamb that many folks might be expecting based on the original truck. To the right of the rice box is a slider (either pulled chicken or pork) from BBQsmith, which my friend Juan had. Props to him for sharing his pictures with me, be sure to check out his blog Scribble Kitchen.
Rainbow Slushie courtesy of Scribble Kitchen

  • The watermelon/lemon rainbow Italian ice was the perfect finish for the afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment