Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Memorial Day Hike


This past Memorial Day weekend, in a continued effort to try new things and expand our activities as a couple, the Mrs. and I went for a short hike at Middlesex Fells Reservation. While I enjoy being outside in nice weather, I've never really been a "hiking" sort of guy, but this hike had a few things going for me:

  • The weather was fantastic! Sunny but not too hot.
  • I suggested the hike on Monday morning, which net my occasional need to do something spontaneous.
  • T was kind enough to take a look at the Reservation map and choose a trail for us. My wife really knows me and chose something not too long for our first outing, that also had patches of shade. I get hot very easily, which if extended to a lengthy period of time usually leads to grumpiness.
  • The site was only a 15 minute drive away from our home.
  • Parking was easy.
  • With driving time, the whole thing took 2 hours and we were back home in time for a late lunch and to work on somethings at home!
Our destination for the hike: Bear Hill Tower
So I'm happy to report that the hike was a big success and I actually look forward to our next hike. It was a great time to get unplugged from our daily grind and to really enjoy quality time with my wife. While I was prepared with a light back pack, I don't think my old pair of sneakers will really cut it if this becomes a regular thing. I would love to hear any recommendations on footwear for this hiking newbie!

No comments:

Post a Comment